Friday, September 18, 2009

Final Post.

[Uplifted]


Mad at the world because all I can think about is ‘the problems’. My parents just don’t know, and my friends don’t seem to understand. Teachers give work on top of work, and if I tell them, why would they care? It seems like everything’s gone wrong, and nothing goes my way. So sitting in my room with the door locked shut and the stereo turned loud, I tuned out the world. “To all the youth world that thinks nobody understands. Well I understand that.” The music coming out of the stereo caught my attention.


Finally, someone who knows; someone I can relate to. Mary J. Blige’s music seemed to come at me every time I needed some uplifting words (or when I just needed to be assured that I wasn’t the only one). Lyrics like; “Straight up, I ain’t got time for new friends, I need paper”. “I want you to rescue me, take me from this misery.”

If it wasn’t lyrics to relate to, it was positivity that made me look at the good side of situations, instead of the bad. “Work what you got” and don’t worry about the haters. Take the positive out of the negative and focus on the compliments people give you, instead of the hateful words people say just because they aren’t happy with themselves. She sang about real life situations, and positive uplifting ways to overcome troubles. And she led by example.

Without disrespecting herself, keeping a strong feminine personality, and taking her life into her own hands, she stayed true to herself, and lived the words she sang. No bad gossip was ever said about her, because everyone knows she handles her own business. Now she has reached a level in her life that she only imagined about when she was younger. When it seems like anger got the best of me, and I don’t know what to do, I’d just think about the words of her songs and everything’d be okay.

Because of that, I’m confident about what I plan on doing in life, and I know it’s not necessary to lower my self-standards to get there. The problems I used to trip on don’t seem as big anymore.

When my friends come to me with their problems, I can give them positive helpful advice about getting through it, instead of sitting there complaining with them. “Well, hold on, I say. Things will soon turn my way”. Life doesn’t stay bad for too long and troubles are just obstacles I need to get over to get to where I dream if being in life. And I will get there without demeaning myself, or lowering my self-standards, to stay a strong independent female.


[Bioloqy]

A&T Television networks. (2009). Retrieved on September 11, 2009, From Biography Channel Website: http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biography_story/1132:1289/1/Mary_J_Blige.htm



EZLyrics. (2005). Retreived September 11, 2009, From EZLyrics. Website:

http://www.elyrics.net/song/m/mary-j.-blige-lyrics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment