Wednesday, September 2, 2009

American Icon























Mary J Blige represents a classy individual that knows what she wants out of life, and does her best to get there. Mary J. Blige is a vocal artist in the R&B hip-hop industry, and she has yet to demean herself to get there. Her style is unique, and she made a lot of the music that I listen to it. Thee music she has made inspired me to make better choices in my life, and I've been able to relate to a few of thee songs as well.
Mary J. Blige came form the poor areas of New York. She earned her respect from thee audience she had in New York, when she was young, by her 'street cred'.She was raised fighting for what she wanted. Her mom was a nurse and a jazz artist. She didn't plan on being a famous vocal artist, but her mother sent a recording of Mary singing karaoke, and her career started from there. She made real songs,that people in her neighborhood and in her similar 'life-situation' could relate to. With dedication, respect for herself and everyone around her, she became a major voice of her generation.
 
Mary J. Blige inspired thee 'Just Fine' attitude; being positive, and happy to be you. She sang songs on loving yourself, and dropping thee unnecessary negativity around you. Believe in yourself. She said 'work that', and ignore the haters that are unhappy with you, because they are just unhappy with themself. Celebrate the good things everyone's told you. Don't be ashamed when you need to change, because it's good for yourself.
And for those 'down moments', when it seems like no one knows what I'm goin through, she sang 'Runaway Love' and 'Be Without You', 'We Ride', 'Enough Crying', and 'The One'. She's such an inspirational person, and a true American Icon.
How did this icon become important in American culture?
Thee Aspca is an organization that saves animals from cruel circumstances and situations. Not everyone that owns an animal knows how to take care of it, or has good intentions. Some animals are raised in diseased environments, or aren't fed for months at a time, or worse. The Aspca removes the animals form those environments, and gets them back to health right before giving them to adoptive owners that are better suited to take cre of it. They've saved many animals from near death situations, from puppies to horses, cats and alligators.
What does this icon represent to you and why?
This icon represents rescue... pretty much. It shows me that there is always someone out there that is looking for my best, and my well-being. It represents the 'caring part' of america. In a country where war is everywhere,  violence is right across the street, and the neglect and abuse is happening inside our own homes, Aspca shows that there are people fighting against injustice for those tht can't speak/save themselves. By taking the animals out of their bad situations and putting them into a better home, it shows me that there's always a better place somewhere.
How did this icon become important to me?
I first saw the Aspca on tv. I never knew animals were treated so badly, and so frequently around the country. Horses were neglected and left in stables to stand in their own feces. Dogs were stuck in a cage without food and left towatch each other starve to death in the backyard of a healthy owner. Chickens were shaved and left in a pit to fight to the death. The Aspca were the people that would convict somebody of the animals rough living, and make the animal as good as knew. And I think that's wonderful because if they didn't do that, so many animals would be dead, tortured, or worse, and no one would know. It would never be brought to thee light.



Music represents self-expression, emotion, and freedom. True Freedom. Music is my way of expressing myself; a way to release all my emotions [anger, happiness, sorrow.. etc] and put it out there, even if it's only to myself. To put a beat to some words, and sing it at any volume i please, or rap at any speed goin down the freeway. Music is like my open diary. There's a song out there for every time, every moment, and every feeling I have. And if I can't find it, or I don't like it, I can make my own. Music  is everywhere and in everything. I love it. You can dance to it, rock to it, sing and rap to it, nod yo head to it. Music represents... the American dream, in a way, and I love it.
I started living with music at a very young age. Both my parents were in the choir at church, and my family was always singing something for some reason. So I grew up with gospel and od school. Then when I got into middle school, I was introduced to different genres such as BET, MtV, kids at school, Rock, Latin, and Soul. Singing has always been something I've enjoyed. I'd be in class making songs and raps, remixes to the popular songs at the time, and making lil' dances to go along. Me and my lil buddies. Music has played a big part in my life. Now, I can't focus without, if i can't hear a steady beat and a good voice on top, my attention span shortens, and my mind tends to wander. Ha.
But music is important, not only in my life, but in American culture as well. Music is in everything. Music plays as the bride walks down the aisle in a wedding. There's music in church and in every religion [that i know of]. Music is in commercials,and there are tv stations based solely on music. The White House sings a song while they face the American flag. Slaves used music when they had no other way of communicating. Music is so universal, it's crazy. There's music in Russia, Japan, Costa Rica. The birds sing songs while chillin in the tree tops. So it's not an American culture type-thing [music], it's a worldwide connector. Ha, the universal langauge. Yeah That.

No comments:

Post a Comment