Thursday, September 10, 2009

Artist's Statement &&Critiques.

Summary:
-So Madison [my critiquer] suggested that I tell more about how I first heard Mary J. Blige's music, and how it first inspired me. She also suggested that I go into more detail about my change in attitude when I started listening to Mary J, and looking up to her and what-not. Oh, and to also go into more detail about how she's inspirational in person as well as in song.

Plans:
-My plans and goals for this artist statement is to clearly show how uplifting music inspired me to be more positive, as well as explain that I can do alot in life [anything I want] and I don' have to demean or misrepresent myself to get or become what I want.

New Draft:

2nd draft:

      Mad at the world, because all I can think about is 'the problems'. My parents just don'tknow, and my friends don't seem to understand. Teachers give work on top of work, and if I tell them, why would they care? It  seems like everythings gone wrong and nothing goes my way. So sitting in my room, with the door locked shut and stereo turned loud, I tune out the world. "To all the youth world that thinks nobody understands. Well I understand." The music coming out of the stereo caught my attention.
       Finally, someone who knows,and someone Ican relate to so i won't be the only one. Mary J. Blge's music seemed to come at me everytime Ineeded some uplifting wordss (or when I just needed to be assured that I wasn't the only one). Words like "Staight up, I ain't got timw for new friends, I need paper." "I want you to rescue me, take me from this misery." And if it wasn't something to relate to, it ws jus the positivity that made me see the good out of the bad. "Work what you got." and don't worry about the haters. Take the positivie out of the negative, and focus on the compliment you get, instead of the hateful words haters say. She sang about real life situatins and positive uplifting ways to overcome troubles, and she led by example.
      When it seems like anger got the best of me, and I don't know what to do, I'd just think about the words of her songs and everything'd be okay. Without disrespecting herself, keeping a strong feminine personality, she stayed true to herself and lived the words she sang. No bad gossip was ever said about her, because everyone knows she does hers. Now she has reached a level in her life that she only imagined about when she was younger.
      Because of that, I'm more confident about what I plan on doing on life, and I don't have to lower my self-standards to get there. The problems that I used to trip on don't seem as big anymore. When my friends come to me with their problems, I can give them positive helpful advice about getting through it, instead of sitting there complaining with them. "Well, hold on, I say. Things will soon turn my way." Life doesn't stay bad for too long and troubles are just obstacles I need to get over to get to where I dream of being in life. And I will get there without demeaning myself, or lowering my self-standards, to stay a strong independent female.

No comments:

Post a Comment