Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Mentor Interview Blog #3

 Click here for the link to the official page

Blythe's Dancing to the Top

Juneau's triple threat, Blythe Barton, pursues her passion as she teaches dance in San Diego, all while choreographing her latest showcase.

A bouquet of vibrant pink and orange roses set in a clear, classy vase welcome all guests and visitors into the restless office.
Dancers framed in their moment of time along the walls, leaving little room for wall paint to shine through. A young Jean Isaacs smiled out from a black and white family photo set on top of the dresser next to the laid-back couch. The ceilings pounded as the performers on the upper level danced their hearts out. Computer keys typed in an off-and-on pattern. The melodious tone of Trey Songz whispered from the speakers hidden under the desk. Blythe Barton sat behind me focused on the bright screen in front of her. This, like many other days this month, is where Blythe spends hours of her day. The passionate artist has been dancing since middle school, and has followed her heart ever since.

Blythe holds classes at San Diego Dance Place one day, practices for performances with Jean Isaac’s Dance Theater the next day, and assists in the office the rest of the week. All this month, she’s been swamped with the dance show that’s been occurring every Saturday of the past 4 weeks. Each weekend, over 200 people waited anxiously for a show they've anticipated for months. Mrs. Barton had to make sure the performance was memorable. She’s practiced practically every day for these 4 nights.

So today, while the computer keys typed in an off-and-on pattern, and Blythe was in arms reach, I decided to get to know Mrs. Blythe Barton a little more. She paused the computer keys and turned her swivel chair around to face me. With a smile on her face, she was ready for the question I had to ask.
 (the photo above) Blythe Barton practices for her performance in the Cabaret dances for Jean Isaac's Dance Theater. The dancers in the back practice their steps.

 When did you begin following your passion for dance?
I started with gymnastics when I was very young, and then when I got into middle school I officially began dancing.

Did you know that dance was a path you were going to continue on seriously for the rest of your life?
No, I knew I loved to dance, but I never really thought of doing it for the rest of my life. I considered teaching as my main career when I grow up. I planned on going to college to pursue a career in teaching.

Were you a high achiever in school?
Yes, I strived for A’s and that’s all that I got. My family emphasized the importance of good grades, and that’s what I went for. I behaved in school and did my best throughout high school.

What college did you attend?
I went to Chapman University to further my learning in dance. I intended on being a teacher of dance. So I got my BFA in dance Performance in 2004. Then one of my professors recommended Florida State University for me to continue my education in dance.

 Why did you decide to make dance your main career focus?
Everyday we, as humans, express ourselves through movement using gesture and body language. Dance gives me the opportunity to build on this concept and create emotion with motion. I believe that true art makes the viewer think or feel in a new way, this is something that I hope to accomplish with my dancing. I also love the athleticism of dance, the physicality.

Do you plan on being a dancer forever?
I hope to continue being a teacher and professional dancer. My university education has prepared me to be a college professor some day. I would like to share with others, the passion I feel for dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment