Monday, June 7, 2010

Literary Reflections

Nick Carraway

If I could bring one character from any book back to life as a person I know, I would choose Nick Carraway. I would put him in my high school as my counselor. His 3rd person kind of view on everything is a characteristic that would be really good for a counselor. He sees whats wrong, and understands situations quickly. He can also see right through people and I think that's really good as a counselor, knowing the 'counselee' (or whatever they're called). He's good at keeping secrets; he knew about Gatsby trying to get with Daisy and also kept Tom's secret. He seems like the kind of person people take to easily, considering Tom and Gatsby felt comfortable telling him their secrets so quickly. "Well, I'm going to tell you something about my life," he interrupted. "I don't want you to get a wrong idea of me from all the stories you hear." Gatsby began as he started telling Nick about himself. "Mr. Carraway, this is my friend Mr. Wolsheim." Gatsby even introduced him to alcohol business partner. (in chapter 4) "We're getting off," he insisted. "I want you to meet my girl." Tom told Nick, trusting that he wouldn't tell his wife about his New York mistress. (in chapter 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment