Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Character Sketches [Grapes of Wrath]

Al Joad

"Did- did you bust out? of jail?"
-Al likes interesting stories. He likes the 'bad side' of his brother. And the attention he gets when his brother's rep goes up.

"They was just a-talkkin' there, an' I didn't let on he's my brother. I jus' stood an' took it in."
-He's sneaky.

"We'll get water first service station we come to. We need some gas too."
-He has his priorities right.

"I'm goin' out on my own purty soon. Fella can make his way lot easier if he ain't got a fambly."
-He trynna grow up extra speedy.


Other People's Quotes:
"But Al's the on'y automobile fella here."
-He's good with cars.

"Hello, Al. Jesus, you're growin' like a bean! I wouldn't of knowed you."
-Al grew fast, growth spirt, in 4 years.

"Ain't had time? Why, Al, you had time to coyote all over the country. GOD know where you been this las' two weeks."
-He's a lil player. So he must be fine.

"Well, I see you got yourself a girl right off."
-haha. He's quick at getting females.

Physical Details:
-dark brooding eyes (like his brother)
-handsome face (he's good looking)
-young looking (16 years old)
greasy hands (he's always working on cars)

Significant Moment:
When he decided to marry Aggie, that was a significant moment. He finally made a decision to stay with the girl. And now he wants to start a family.

My ideas:
Al seems like a cool dude. He doesn't let emotions hold him much. He likes girls and has no problem getting them.


Tom Joad

Quotes:
"Well maybe it's like Casy says. A fellow ain't got a soul of his own, just a little piece of a big soul, the one big soul that belongs to everybody."
-He's still trying to figure himself out and understand life.

"Ya full of crap."
-saying that to someone that didn't do anything to you shows how straight forward and honest he is.

"Yes, sir."
-He knows how to show respect.

"Yu mean to say the fellas that runs the camp is jus' fellas- campin here?"
He's not used to the poor running things.

Other People quotes:
"well, set down with us, them. We got plenty- thank GOD!"
-shows Tom looks trustworthy and kind.

"I wanted to tell my folks where-at I was.""
-shows that Tom doesn't like his parents to worry.

"You was pullin' little girls pigtails when I give you the Holy Sperit."
-Tom was a young and rowdy kid.

"It's worried me till I couldn't get no sleep."
-Casey trusts Tom with that type of information.

Physical Details:
-Bright yellow shoes (just got out of jail.)
-Big flat hands (Worker hands)
-Leg muscles (Worker legs)
-Arm muscles (Worker arms)

Significant Moment:
Tom met back up with his family. He saw his dad. Then his mom and surprised the oldies and his siblings.

My ideas:
-He's honest, and kind, and hard-working, and family oriented, determined, fit to survive. Someone I would call a good person over all.

William James Joad
"Grampa Joad"

"I smell spare ribs. Somebody's been eating spare ribs. How come I ain't got none?"
-shows that Pa Joad feels inclines to get anything anyone else gets. He also loves his food.

"Goddamn it, I'm a ol' man, but I can still take care a myself."
-Gpa likes to handle himself and feel like the man of situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment